Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tasting- Resonata Nero D'Avola (Week 6)

http://www.kysela.com/italy/resonata.htm
Name:  Resonata Nero D'Avola

Variety: Nero D'Avola

Region: Sicily

Country: Italy

Year: 2010

Price: $6.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
"Dense ruby red with violet reflections.  Lush and ripe bouquet full of mulberries, blackberries and spice.  Harmonious and well balanced with good berry fruit in a spicy background."


My Review:
This brownish cranberry/burgundy colored wine had a rather smoky or meaty scent with just the slightest undertones of berry.  I really had to take some time to find the fruity scents because they were so strongly masked by the smoky aroma.  The taste was somewhat sweet initially with a bit of a berry flavor.  However, the taste quickly transitioned to a drier, smokier aftertaste.  It was a little tannic, but not very acidic.  I could also taste a bit of oak in the aftertaste.  This was an interesting wine due to the transition from sweet to smoky.  It's not my kind of wine, but I definitely wouldn't say that it's bad.  So for those who enjoy a non-fruity wine, I would recommend it. 


Pairings:  Due to the meaty scents and flavors of the wine, I think it would really enhance a meal with red meat.  So it would probably pair well with a steak of some sort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment