Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tasting- Cuilleras Cote du Rhone


Name: Cuilleras Cote du Rhone

Variety: Red Rhone Blend (according to http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1248019)  
Region: Rhone (Southern Rhone)

Country: France

Year: 2010

Price: $11.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
“Le Deves is a wine with great lively acidity which gives it great freshness.  You’ll taste lots of black cherry and currant fruit with some notes of licorice and minerals.  You will be transported to the south of France.  Now, that is a trip I never mind taking.”

My Review:
This wine is a beautiful color.  It is kind of a magenta, purple, cranberry color.  It has a very bitter smell and just by scent you can detect the alcohol.  It has a very heavy, fruity taste.  I’m guessing there are a lot of darker fruits, like dark berries (raspberries, blackberries, etc.).  Surprisingly, the taste was not nearly as bitter as the scent.  It was also very oaky in flavor.  It was a very tannic wine.  I’m not a fan of tannic wines, I prefer wines to be a little more refreshing rather than leaving my mouth dry.  I also do not tend to care for wines with very strong woody flavors.  As a result, I didn’t love this wine, but it wasn’t awful.  

Pairings: I did not try this with food, but I think it could be good with a pasta in a cream sauce or some kind of red meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment