Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tasting- Frisk Prickly Riesling


Name: Frisk Prickly Riesling
 
Variety: Riesling

Region: Victoria

Country: Australia

Year: 2011

Price: $11.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
“Leave to the Aussies to come up with a tasty value wine with a sassy descriptive name.  Frisk is a frisky Riesling with a pleasing level of prickly spritz lifting the ample fruity flavors.  It has a pale straw color, lively bubbles, loads of tropical fruit and jasmine aromas, off-dry fruity flavors, a refreshing 9.8% alcohol and a sweet/tart finish; and all that Australian goodness.”

My Review:
I have to say, the name of this wine stuck out to me.  I wasn’t sure about the “prickly” part, because that doesn’t necessarily sound like a good thing, but I really enjoyed this wine.  This wine is so light in color, it’s nearly completely clear.  It does not have a very strong aroma, making it difficult to pick out flavors in the scent.  You could taste the carbonation which offered an extra refreshing taste.  This is a very sweet wine which is to be expected of a Riesling.  Despite the sweetness, it has a very crisp taste which balances the flavor nicely.  It’s also a little tangy and has some strong citrus flavors, perhaps with a hint of apple as well.  The crisp, carbonated, and tangy flavors give a certain zest that accompanies the name “frisk” quite well.  I would definitely recommend this wine, it was my favorite of the day.

Pairings:  I think this wine would be great with desserts although I did not try it with any food.

No comments:

Post a Comment