Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tasting- La Sera Red Malvasia (Week 8)

http://www.winemadeeasy.com/la-sera-red-malvasia-2010-750-ml-31978.html
Name: La Sera Red Malvasia


Variety: Malvasia


Region: Piedmont

Country: Italy


Year: NV

Price: $13.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
"A specialty of Italy's Piedmont region, Red Malvasia di Casorzo is fragrant and fruity, moderately sweet wine.  It has strawberry and fresh grape flavors, with a zesty frizzante (fizz).  It is low in alcohol (5.5%) and best served slightly chilled.  Enjoy as an aperitif, matched with spicey barbeque or Oriental dishes.  It is also excellent with rich chocolate cake or a fruity sorbet."


My Review:
This is a very light brownish red color.  There are not really legs.  I noticed a few bubbles, but it didn't seem particular fizzy or bubbly.  It has a very floral scent.  The taste is extremely sweet and kind of syrupy.  It has some very floral flavors.  I never thought I'd say this about a wine, but it was almost sickeningly sweet.  Normally, I love sweet wines, like Rieslings and Moscatos, but this has a very full sweetness without any zest or tingliness or crispness to break up of the sweetness.  I wouldn't have to recommend it simply because it's the only wine that I've ever tried that I thought was really too sweet, it was even a challenge to handle the couple small sips of the tasting. 



Pairings: I didn't try this with food, but I think it would be best with a dessert.  Maybe something creamy because the cream may help mask some of the sweetness.  So I would think maybe cream puffs or eclairs would be a good match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment