Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tasting- Estrella Merlot (Week 7)

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/estrella+river+propriet+rsrv+merlot+california+usa
Name: Estrella Merlot

Variety: Merlot

Region: Napa, California

Country: United States

Year: 2009

Price: $5.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
"This ruby colored Merlot has raspberry jam aromas with a subtle hint of spice.  Layers of vanilla, plum, and fig are revealed that linger ever so slightly on the palate." 


My Review:
This wine had a light, pinkish cranberry color with a hint of brown.  It had some legs.  The scent was floral, vanilla, and had a slight berry aroma.  It was really fruity at the very beginning but then more of the vanilla flavors came out.  The vanilla flavors also had just a general warm flavor of baking ingredients, kind of like what you use to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch.  There was also a little floral taste.  The aftertaste had a little oak.  This wine was slightly tannic.  I liked this wine, it wasn't amazing, but I did enjoy it.  I think this is good progress for me because I usually just like fruity wines. 


Pairings: I didn't try this with food, but I think it would be good with a creamy pasta dish, or maybe even a vanilla bean cheesecake to brink out the vanilla flavors of the wine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment