Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tasting- Doural Red Tinto/Domaine Des Nuges Beaujolais-Villages (Week 7)

I actually tried the Doural Red Tinto at a Saturday tasting in January.  The Vintage Cellar had it again at a tasting this Thursday, so this brought about the issue of a repeated tasting.  I've decided to re-review it because it was actually kind of interesting to see how it tasted different to me this time as my palate has expanded a little.  But because we're supposed to review 5 new wines each week, I'm also including a review of a wine that I bought when I went to the tasting.

Name: Doural Red Tinto
Variety: Red Blend- Tinto Cao, Touriga Francesca, Touriga Nacional
(according to http://www.ctwineauthority.com/sku16489.html)   

Country: Portugal

Year: 2009

Price: $8.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
“This Portuguese tinto (red) blend exhibits a deep red color with violet hues.  The nose is vibrant and fruity.  The palate offers notes of spice, cherry, and dark berry supported by good structure.  Pairs well with red or game meat, cheeses and fish.”


My Review:
This wine had a nice cranberry color and medium thick legs.  It smelled hot with scents of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  It initially had a light berry flavor, maybe raspberry and cherry, and a little bit of oak.  There wasn't much of a mid-palate, and the aftertaste featured even more oak.  It was a light wine, but very tannic.  I think I liked this a lot more the second time I tried it because I'm starting to like red wines a little more now that I've tried a lot more of them.


Pairings: I didn't try this with food, but would probably put it with something like a roast beef.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wineenabler.com/new-house-favorite-beaujolais-villages-domaine-des-nugues/

Name: Domaine Des Nugues Beaujolais-Villages

Variety: Gamay

Region: Burgundy

Country: France

Year: 2008
Price: $13.95

Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar Review:
"Vibrant purple. Intensely floral bouquet displays scents of spicy dark berries, violet, wisteria and white pepper. Juicy raspberry and cherry flavors are sharply focused and very fresh, with good acid snap providing lift. Leaves spicy redcurrant and cherry pit notes behind on the persistent finish." (http://www.wineaccess.com/wine/product/11151281/2008-Domaine-de-Nugues-Beaujolais-Villages)


My Review:
This wine was light red with little legs.  It had cranberry, raspberry, cherry, and apple scents.  It has a very light/watery texture and a very fruity taste with cranberry and raspberry flavors.  They're lighter fruits, not very big or bold flavors.  It's extremely drinkable and not very tannic.  It also does not have a very strong aftertaste.  I really like this wine.  I'm a big fan of Beaujolais wines.  My favorite red I've ever tasted is the 2011 Beaujolais Nouveau, so I guess I must really like the Gamay flavor.  I would definitely recommend this one!


Pairings: I had this with cheese ravioli and pesto sauce.  It paired pretty well with this because I felt like the lighter qualities of the red wine made it better suited for something like pasta instead of a heavier dish with red meat.  The ravioli brought out the fruity flavors of the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment