Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasting- Vina Santurnia Crianza

Tasting on Saturday 1/28/2012

Name: Vina Santurnia Crianza

Variety: Tempranillo (according to http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1052166#moreinfo)  

Region: Rioja

Country: Spain

Year: 2006

Price: $11.95

K&L  Review: (The Vintage Cellar did not have a review so I used one from http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1052166#moreinfo)
“Here is our latest incredible find in value Rioja. Very classic, traditional styling, with a terrific balance between mouthwatering berry fruit and damp forest floor nuances. Traditional Rioja, with its Burgundian characteristics and slightly plumper fruit profile, works wonders with food. Simply put, the 2006 ViƱa Santurnia Crianza Rioja is pure deliciousness! In all seriousness, this property, located a mere 3 kilometers from Muga over in the Rioja Alavesa, really over-delivers when it comes to consistently making wonderful Crianza, with impeccable balance and typicity, for an incredibly fair price. This wine is produced in comparably tiny quantities for Rioja, 5,000 cases, all the more reason to join the many customers who have purchased past vintages of this terrific, satisfying wine in case quantities.”

My Review:
This wine had a kind of brownish red hue.  The aroma was very woodsy... potentially oak.  It had a very sharp initial taste and lingering aftertaste.  There was little mid-palate flavor.  This wine was okay, but not my kind of wine.  The wood flavoring was just overwhelming to me... I felt like I was drinking a tree.  If you’re a fan of the strong oak and wood flavors, there’s a great chance you would love this wine.  If you’re like me and have not yet acquired a taste for such strong wood flavors (not sure if I ever will), then you probably won’t enjoy this wine too much.  

Pairings:  I did not try this with food, and I’m honestly stumped on what to pair it with.  Since I really didn’t care for the flavor, it’s hard for me to think of what would taste good with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment