Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasting- Nykteri Santorini Yannis

Tasting on Saturday 1/28/2012

Name: Nykteri Santorini Yannis

Variety: White Blend - Assyrtico, Athiri and Aidani (according to http://www.santorinicarhire.com/blog/santorini-wines/ )

Region: Aegean

Country: Greece

Year: 2010

Price: $13.95

Vintage Cellar Review:
“I fell first for the compelling story of this ‘night work’ wine, and then for the aroma and taste, and can’t think of a wine to compare it to.  Nykteri-Dry White Wine Appellation of Origin Santorini of superior quality since 3,500 years ago, the Nykteri is synonymous to Santorini’s famous white wines.  The formula to ‘instant wine making’ on the night of the same day that the grapes were harvested solved the problem of the variety’s sensitive aroma deterioration.  The wine is matured for 3 months at least in barrels.  In this way the wine’s contact with barrel’s wood gives the Nykteri a special finesse.  Characteristics Crystal-clear, semi-yellow wine.  Dominated by the aromas of jasmine, citrus fruits, flowers and pear, all these enhanced with a gentle vanilla sense.  A strong body with warm personality and a long lasting taste.  Serve with grilled anything as well as with local Greek dishes such as tomato meatballs and fava dip.”

My Review:
I have to say that my expectations of this wine were high simply because Santorini is #1 on my list of places to which I am dying to travel.  So, I really wanted to like this wine.  Unfortunately, I thought it was merely okay.  It smelled kind of like apples and had a sweet scent.  However, the taste did not seem to live up to the sweetness of the aroma.  It almost tasted watered down.  It was kind of dry and had a slightly oakish flavor.  It was a little acidic when swallowing, and the aftertaste was not fruity and lingered for a while.  The wine wasn’t awful but it didn’t impress me much.  

And this is why I really want to go to Santorini!
http://travel.usnews.com/Santorini_Greece/Things_To_Do/

Pairings: I once again did not have any food with this wine, but I feel like it might be good with chicken, fish, or pasta. 

1 comment:

  1. By having a long term hire car, one can save time as well as effort without wandering with confusion in the island. online your rental car in Santorini in the best possible price

    ReplyDelete