Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tasting- “Las Rocas Garnacha”

Sorry I couldn't get the best quality on this one!

Name: Las Rocas Garnacha

Variety: Garnacha

Region: Aragon

Country: Spain

Year: 2008

Price: $12.95... pretty good deal!

Winemaker’s Review: (this was a replacement for a bottle that ran out at the tasting so, we didn’t receive a printed review of it.... as a result, I’m using a “Winemaker’s Notes” review from wine.com)
Deep ruby colored with a gorgeous nose.  Attractive aromas of kirsch, raspberries, pepper and melted liquorice.  Full flavored wine with a supple texture and no hard edges.  Medium to full bodied, fruit driven sumptuously-textured and long aftertaste.. Pairing: Various roast dishes, Spanish stew, mushrooms and grilled meats.  Blue fish, rice, short-and medium-cured cheeses.”

My Review:
                This was a pretty deep red wine.  It smelled very rich and even a little spicy.  However, it didn’t taste a little spicy... it tasted a lot spicy.  I’ve never tasted such a spicy wine... it was kind of like the wine version of Dr. Pepper.  I also thought I tasted some oak flavors, or at least I could taste the flavor of some kind of wood.  Really the overwhelming take-away from this was the kind of heavy flavor and the spiciness.  If the season of autumn had a flavor, it would taste like this wine.  I once again, did not have food with the wine, but I guess I would think it would be good with some kind of meat or filling dish.  It would make for a very bold meal.  It was certainly not my favorite because I generally don’t like my drinks to be spicy, but I wouldn’t say it was bad either.  If spicy/non-sweet wines are your thing, you would probably love this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment